Sometimes, that vacation or special events sneak up on us too quickly, and we realize that we haven’t lost as much weight as we wanted to! Cue frantic googling to find out exactly how much weight you can lose. But don’t worry – we’ve got you covered!
Many variables come into play here, but generally speaking, the maximum amount that you can lose is 1 to 2 pounds a week!
Is it the Same for Men and Women?
This is one of the variables! Generally, men will be able to lose around 3 pounds a week compared to the 1-2 pounds a week that women can lose. This is due to a number of reasons:
- Women have more of the estrogen hormone that stores fat
- Men carry more of their weight as muscle
- Having more muscle speeds up your metabolism
What Else Does it Vary on?
There are a number of things that weight loss can vary on:
- The speed of your metabolism
- Lifestyle (sedentary lifestyle)
- The medication you may take
Tips and Tricks to Improve Your Weight Loss?
Knowing exactly how to lose weight can be difficult, so here are some tips and tricks to help you get going!
- Don’t Skip Breakfast – Although this may seem like a good idea, it will make you eat more later in the day and therefore make you gain more weight.
- Stay Active – Staying active throughout the day is important! Even if you work in an office and are sitting at a desk all day, you should aim to walk around the office for at least 5 minutes every hour!
- Drink Plenty of Water – People often mistake thirst for hunger and then end up consuming calories they don’t need to.
Things You Need to Avoid Doing
If you find that you’re struggling to lose weight, then you may find that you’re doing the wrong thing! Here are some things to avoid:
- Stop Eating Too Little – If you eat too little, then your metabolism will slow down, and you’ll lose muscle mass.
- Stop Over-Exercising – Although exercising a lot may seem like a good idea, it may be detrimental to your weight loss. Excessive exercise is unsustainable and can increase stress levels and impair the production of hormones that regulate stress. Stress left unchecked can lead to overeating,
- Don’t Do It Alone! – Surrounding yourself with support is absolutely key to your long-term success. Studies show that people who diet and exercise with a partner lose significantly more weight than those who do it alone.
Can You Lose Weight Consistently?
You can lose weight consistently! Here are some tips and tricks on how to do that:
- Exercise Often
- Eat Breakfast Everyday
- Eat Lots of Protein
- Lift Weights
- Stay Hydrated
- Sleep Well
Final Thoughts on Maximum Weight Loss per Week
Generally speaking, women can expect to lose 1-2 pounds a week, whereas men can lose around 3 pounds a week! Although, there are a lot of things that can come into play here, including your metabolism, age, and lifestyle.
But that doesn’t mean that you can’t lose weight! With the right combination of exercise and diet, you’ll find that you’ll be losing weight in no time!